Monday, April 7, 2014

NOW I Remember Why I Love London...

Another early start to the day on Saturday to drop MaryAnn and Margaret off at the airport, then I headed directly to Nottinghill to hit Saturday's market on Portobello Road.  They were in the final stages of setting the booths up (I was pretty early...), but it was still fun to walk along and see everything.  Afterward, I HAD to go back to the hotel to take a nap.  I'd had one too many late nights and early mornings AND a cold.  Once I was rested, I took the tube down to Wimbledon to meet up with an old friend from the Brittania Ward, Andi Herriott, and met his wife and baby.  We went out to eat together and all had a good chat.  Then I raced back up to the Hyde Park chapel to watch some of the General Conference broadcast, and then raced again over to Trafalgar Square where I met up with Darrin Johnson for a concert of Handel, Bach, and Vivaldi at the St. Martin's in the Field Church, after which we went to Cafe Rouge for dessert and a good talk.  I remember why I love London now!  Knowing where you're going, having a purpose and timing as you go, and not dragging people around with you means you can zip all over the place and see and experience so many more things!  So glad I stayed after all my friends left so I could remember that London really isn't as hard as it felt earlier in the trip.  I DO still love it!

Sariah Herriott
Andi Herriott
Darrin and me at the concert.
Outside Cafe Rouge for dessert. DELICIOUS salted caramel ice cream!
Sunday I finally got to sleep in!  I just had to make it to the Hyde Park Chapel by 1 p.m. so it was delightful.  I watched more of the General Conference broadcast, then went to the Victoria and Albert Museum between sessions.  At the second General Conference broadcast, I met up with another old friend, Richard Smith, and we chatted for a long time.  A young missionary walked by while we were sitting there and his last name was unusual and familiar, Koponen, so after he walked by again, I finally stopped him and asked if he is from Finland.  Turns out he is and is related to Timo Koponen, the one person in Finland that I know!  I emailed Timo directly afterward (he's the recorder at the Helsinki Finland Temple) and told him about meeting up with his nephew.  Turns out Timo also served in the Hyde Park ward years ago!  Richard walked me back to my hotel after.  It really is so conveniently located.  I need to rent in this area again the next time I come back to England!


Monday I decided to hit all of my old favorite places.  I started out early in the morning again in line for Wicked tickets once more.  Then I took a bus from there up to Regent's Park.  I overshot the mark a little and ended up having a nice walk through the St. Johns Wood area (unfortunately I forgot my flatmate, Kate Kinsel Ngai, lives there now so I didn't visit her) and then walked through Regent's Park and to the rose circle in Queen Mary's garden.  Too bad the roses weren't in bloom yet!  It was still beautiful, if a bit overcast.  Kate and I met up at the Victoria Apollo theatre for Wicked.  The girl who plays Glinda in the show, Savannah Stevenson, is LDS and was in the Brittania Ward with us.  She does a great job, and afterward, she had them let us in at the stage door and we went backstage to her dressing room and got to meet some of the actors.  We chilled for a bit with her and Elphaba before heading out.  Lets just say the fans were pretty disappointed when we walked out first instead of the shows main actors...  So funny!

Regent's Park
Oh Regent's Park how I love thee!
Flats outside of Regent's Park that I've always loved.
Sherlock or Elementary anyone?
At Wicked with my old flatmate, Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment