Friday, April 4, 2014

Switch-a-roo

Thursday morning, MaryAnn and I dropped Brett and Jacob off at the airport for them to return home, turned in the rental car, picked up a smaller rental car, picked up MaryAnn's sister Susie who was in town for a tradeshow and came early to spend some time with us, went back to the hotel and got Margaret, and picked up a quick late breakfast.  THEN we headed out for the day!

We drove out to Leeds Castle in Kent which is one of my favorite castles (I have no idea why, but attribute it to how much fun I had on my England trip with mom when I visited this place last).  Turns out I'm the only person who likes mazes, but Margaret and Susie were willing to go with me.  I still LOVE the grotto that you have to go through to get out of the maze.




 



Heading down in to the spooky grotto...
Goodbye Leeds!
After Leeds, we drove to the southern coast of England to visit Brighton.  We only had time to drive past the Royal Pavilion as it had closed for the day, then spent some time out on the pier.  I even rode this rollercoaster ride that had me spinning so far up in the air!  I may have briefly gotten scared while dangling at the top with just a harness holding me in...  We drove back to our hotel by the airport afterward and dropped Margaret and Susie off, then MaryAnn and I turned the rental car back in.  No more driving on the roads in England this trip!  (As Graham Dunn said, I'm a fantastic driver and he can't believe I don't normally drive there.)




A new friend on the pier.

Friday morning, MaryAnn and I got up early and headed in to Central London to wait in line for Wicked tickets.  We went to our new hotel by the Gloucester Road tube station and Margaret and Susie showed up there with all our luggage.  Susie prefers more laid-back vacations, so I took them on a bus ride to a movie theatre and we watched Divergent.  We pretty much had the place to ourselves and it was nice to slow down a little.  For dinner we got pasties (finally!) on our way to Wicked.  Elphaba had a good voice, but I still miss Kerry Ellis!

Hello nice hotel room! The curtains open up to a BIG bay window.
Love that front row!

No comments:

Post a Comment