Saturday morning we departed Denise's home and headed to Niagara Falls. We'd heard that the Canadian side was better so that's where we went. We took the elevator down to the tunnels below the falls where you can look out and see the water pouring over the hole in the rock and just know there were tons of water crashing down. We walked up along the side and got some good pictures of the falls from further away. The heat had returned and with the humidity factor it felt really nice to pop in and get a late breakfast before hitting the road again on our way to Palmyra. We made it in time for a temple session. Love the stain glass in the temple and the window that overlooks the Sacred Grove. We stopped for dinner and went sightseeing to a few of the Church history sites like Grandin Printing Shop which is the Book of Mormon's historic publication site and the Martin Harris Farm which isn't owned by the Church so we couldn't go in. We also went to the Hill Cumorah and Visitors' Center.
Sunday we went to a student single ward and were shocked by how friendly all the ward members were. That's a sad commentary when you're surprised how people come up and say hello. SO not a Utah thing which is too bad. Of course, the small ward makes it so you actually know when someone is visiting or new. We hit the Joseph Smith Farm Welcome Center, Smith Log Home, and Smith frame Home next. Missionaries give tours of the site and one can't help but try to picture what it was actually like during the 1800's. We finished up by visiting the Sacred Grove and Amy and I split up so we could have some alone time there. I spent quite a bit of time wandering and listening to Church music on my iPhone. It was very peaceful and a nice experience.
The next morning we drove back to Buffalo and it was POURING rain. It was nice that we had the whole trip without rain and that it held off until the end, but it was a bit of a harrowing experience to navigate the roads in that much standing water and barely being able to see out of the windshield. We made it home though and I arrived to my house door to find it standing wide open. The door handle was broken and I had no idea if someone had broken in or what had happened. I dialed 911 on my phone and kept my finger hovering over the call button while I went from room to room checking to see if anyone was there. I checked through upstairs too knowing Lori had moved out the Saturday before. All the doors upstairs were unlocked too, so I locked those and after making sure that no one was hiding in closets, I went back downstairs and shut and locked my broken door. It was pretty scary. I headed in and got ready for bed and then heard someone pounding on my door. Scared me all over again. It was Lori and she was upset that I'd locked the house doors. I didn't understand why since I'd thought she'd moved out on Saturday and knowing my house door had been left wide open, most likely for two days since they moved out if they were the ones who broke the door handle when moving the couch I'd had down there. At least I didn't have to call the police afterall, but what a homecoming!
No comments:
Post a Comment